Now is the time to enjoy Christmas house tours. You’ll find not only wonderful decorating ideas for the holidays, but some fun little touches for use all year round. Watch for unusual places to decorate and interesting colour combinations. These can provide you with the inspiration to create a truly unique look for your home.
1. Victorian tree decoration – use delicate lacy white ribbons instead of tinsel garland, dried roses instead of glass balls, and create nosegays by gluing a 1 1/2″ lace paper doily to a bouquet form. Attach a 1″ Styrofoam cube to the center, arrange greenery around the base and glue cinnamon sticks, walnuts and a dried rose to the top.
2. For a Western Christmas theme, use cowboy boots instead of traditional stockings.
3. For a festive Christmas dinner, hang stockings on dining room chair backs. Fill with special after-dinner treats.
4. Hang a giant red stocking on your front door to welcome guests. You can fill the stocking with thin boxes covered in gold or silver foil wrapping paper. To one of the boxes, attach a large tag that says, “To our Special Guests”.
5. Use two matching stockings for curtain tiebacks.
6. Place pretty glass balls in your fancy glasses that are sitting behind glass doors of your china cabinet.
7. Drape your chandelier with strands of cranberries and dried orange slices for a country Christmas look.
8. Make your overnight guests feel special by filling stockings with guest towels, guest soaps, and other toiletries and hang the stockings on the doorknob of the guest’s room.
9. Tuck evergreen boughs and silver or gold ornaments around the base of your potted plants.
10. Dip pine cones in melted wax and nestle them among sprigs of evergreen.
Patty Lee is the owner of Craft Ideas Groups Subscribe to the Craft Ideas Newsletter at firstname.lastname@example.org