Design ideas for decorating each and every room in your house for Christmas from your entrance to outdoors.
- Decoupage a serving tray with your favorite cards from last year and set on your coffee table.
- Sew small brass jingle bells along the hem of a tablecloth.
- Boost the effect of votive candles by placing them in front of a mirror.
- Cover a table with a pretty tablecloth, gather each corner and tie with a ribbon, and attach a nosegay of sprigs of holly and berries.
- Make fabric envelopes out of squares of felt with three corners glued together at the center. Stuff with greens, pinecones and candy canes and hang on every door.
- Fill mason jars with red and green M&M’s or other Christmas candy, tie with a plaid ribbon and use to decorate the mantelpiece, foyer table or kitchen. Give guests a jar as they leave.
- String dried fruit and cranberries and tack to shelf edges.
- Spray-paint pinecones green, gold or silver, put in a basket and hang on the front door.
- String an extra strand of tiny white lights above the refrigerator, closet or bathroom mirror.
- Put photographs of Christmases past in frames and hang on walls with a wide ribbon.
- Fill a simple vase with greens and a few red carnations.
- Dress up the kids’ toys. Tie a bright plaid ribbon around a favorite stuffed animal and set it in a child’s chair by the tree. Use a toy wagon to display wrapped gifts.
- Decorate mantels with bayberry- or vanilla-scented candles. Fresh or dried wreaths add a pleasant aroma as well.
For Christmas decorating ideas by specific rooms, click on each room: