Give the traditional Sweet Potato pudding a twist by cooking and serving it differently this Christmas.
For this recipe, sweet potatoes are first cooked, mashed, then baked and again mashed before finally serving. Baking the already cooked potatoes gives the pudding its warm taste and also helps infuse the aroma of cinnamon in it.
• 3 pounds sweet potato (white or yellow)
• 12 ounces sweetened condensed milk + some more for drizzling
• 1/2 cup butter – melted
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Cook sweet potatoes by boiling them. Allow to cool completely and then peel off the skin.
2. Add condensed milk, butter and cinnamon and mix well.
3. Bake this mixture for 15 minutes till the pudding is slightly golden.
4. Remove from oven. Let cool slightly and mash the pudding again with the back of a spoon.
5. To serve, spoon pudding into a bowl and press down slightly to flatten.
6. Reserve some pudding and place it is a pastry bag fitted with a star or any other decorative nozzle. Pipe out florets onto the flattened top of the pudding.
7. Finally, drizzle some more condensed milk over the pudding.
Tip: When baking, ensure that you do not bake it too much so that the pudding sets and loses its creamy texture.
This article first appeared in the ‘Celebrating Christmas PDF Magazine‘ which is a FREE magazine that you can download and even print out.